It’s the time of year again for those beautiful outdoor cushions to come out of hiding. Your cushion looks ok, but they most certainly could use a good clean and this article will be telling you exactly how to clean outdoor cushions.
Unfortunately, these luxurious outdoor decors have to withstand rainy weathers, storms, dust, dirt, tree sap, mildew, and even bird poop. Even while in use you could still use a few good tips on how to clean your outdoor cushions.
If your cushions have any of these stains then this article will be of great help. Knowing how to care for and clean your outdoor cushions can and will make them look beautiful, feel more comforting, and last longer.
IN THIS ARTICLE…FIND OUT…
01. How To Clean Mildew On Outdoor Cushions
02. How To Clean Bird Poop On Outdoor Cushions
03. How To Clean Oil/ Grease Stains On Outdoor Cushions
o4 How To Clean Blood Stains On Outdoor Cushions
05. & EXTRA TIPS YOU’LL LOVE!
Easy Ways To Clean Outdoor Cushions
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR CUSHION TAGS FOR SPECIFIC CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM
- Power spray
- Hand wash
- Machine wash
Before washing your cushions check for stains and spot treat the stains. Following the recommended washing instructions for the cushions will give you a better finish. Now as we mentioned above, there are many different types of stains that your outdoor cushions acquire. Find how to spot treat and wash each and every one of these hideous stains.
TREATING MILDEW STAINS…
- Using a brush, start by scraping off the mildew. Remember to use a mask when handing mildew. Continue until all the mildew residue is gone.
- Make a mixture of 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide into 4 cups water. Pour into a spray bottle
EXTRA TIPS FOR YOU…
Even if tempted to use bleach, try avoiding doing that. Bleach is highly acidic and will change the color and worst of all can and will rip the fibers of the material into threads.
- Spray the solution directly onto the stain
- Let is sit for 15 minutes
- Use a clean cloth to blot the stained area
- Use the washing instructions to completely remove all the loose residues.
- You may need a temporary outdoor clothes wire to hang the cushions for air drying
This particular solution is strong enough to remove even the most stubborn stains so it’s really time-saving and has excellent results.
DON’T MELT YOUR CUSHIONS…Avoid Using Excessive Heat For Drying
Avoid using electrical heat to dry your cushions as the materials they are made from are most times not heat resistant.
1. HOW TO TREAT BIRD POOP STAINS ON CUSHIONS
No one likes or wants to clean with poop. Yes, that is so true but that’s is part of the job when cleaning your outdoor cushions.
FOR CUSHIONS COVERED IN 60% AND MORE OF BIRD POOP-HMMM YACKY!
- Scrape the bird poop off with a gentle scraper. If it is tried up, use a dry cloth to bush it away. That should be easy to do. Don’t forget to wear a glove for this one. Yep, that’s poop!
- Fill a bucket with water (large enough)
- Add laundry detergent and incorporate
- Place the cushions into the bucket
- Allow soaking for 1/2 hour
- Remove rinse and hang to air dry
FOR CUSHIONS WITH JUST ONE OR TWO DROPS OF BIRD POOP
Lucky you if this is just a drop or two. Doing a spot treatment for this stain is ideal.
- Add a spray nozzle to a bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Hold the bottle 2 inches away from the spot and spray. Each time you spray do a little blotting at each time
- Blot with a rag
- for material with holes using a fine bristle brush will do
2. HOW TO REMOVE (OIL OR GREASE) STAINS ON OUTDOOR CUSHIONS
Grease comes in many different forms. You could be putting on your sunscreen lotion and your cushions take a bath in it too. How about having a tasty piece of juicy BBQ, bug sprays, those all have grease. These greasy delicacies are had while relaxing outdoors and can cause stains, especially on your cushions.
- Wipe the area with a warm damp cloth to remove the heavy grease
- Sprinkle any of these, baby powder, corn starch, or baking powder. These are absorbent powders and when applied will soak up the grease
- Let the powder sit for 30 minutes
- Shake the powder off
- Wash the cushion in warm water and your regular laundry detergent
- If after wash there is still a trace of the stain. Apply hydrogen peroxide directly on the stain
- Allow penetrating for 5-10 minutes
- Blot with a damp microfiber cloth and your cushion is ready for use.
4. HOW TO REMOVE BLOOD STAINS ON OUTDOOR CUSHIONS
Accidents do happen, if you notice blood-like stains on your cushion don’t panic. Your cushion can be treated.
Step 1. Simply combine a mixture of 1/2 tablespoon dawn dish soap, 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide, 1 cup cool water
Step 2. Apply the solution directly onto the stain
Step 3. Allow sitting for 5-10 minutes
Step 4. Blot with a clean damp cloth and watch as the stain disappears before your eyes
HOW TO CARE FOR OUTDOOR CUSHIONS
Most cushions are made from plain and simple materials like rubber, plastic, and polyester which make them durable but not prone to damaging debris. Which makes them easy to clean. It is best to clean your outdoor cushions before putting them away.
Store the cushion into a waterproof bag or container Keter Kentwood 90 Gallon Resin Deck Organization Storage Container these can be purchased on Amazon.com for a fairly reasonable price. There are tons of others you can choose from. Spending a little on cushion storage goes a long way in the future. It will save you the time and trouble of having to clean your cushions when springtime rolls.
THE BEST OUTDOOR CUSHION TO BUY
The best outdoor cushions to consider when buying are ones made from olefin. Sunbrella fabric or polyester. These are fade-resistant, waterproof, and easily cleaned. As you know the better the more costly but it’s worth it in the long run.
YOUR CUSHIONS WILL LOOK AMAZING! We have come to the end of cleaning our outdoor cushions. We hope these were helpful with your search. Feel free to share and come again soon.